Bake Off Champion Jo Wheatley helps baby charity “raise some dough” to fund life saving work
Baby Charity The Lullaby Trust is once again asking baking enthusiasts across the country to get creative in the kitchen for their annual fundraiser “Bake it for Babies”. Anyone can get involved, whether they are a novice or master and this year there is an extra treat for Bake Off fans as 2011 winner Jo Wheatley is supporting the fundraiser and providing a selection of delicious recipes. At Cake Masters Magazine, we are very pleased to be The Lullaby Trust’s media partner for the campaign.
Every year around 300 babies die unexpectedly of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It is not known what causes SIDS but there are things that parents can do to greatly reduce the risk of it occurring. The Lullaby Trust raises awareness of SIDS and lifesaving safer sleep practices and has played a key part in reducing the number of babies who die by 70%. The charity aims to halve that number again by 2020. The Lullaby Trust also provides support to bereaved families. All funds raised from Bake it for Babies will go towards this vital work.
Bake it for Babies is The Lullaby Trust’s most popular fundraiser and is held 3-7th October 2016. Taking part is easy; supporters are asked to hold a bake sale in their work, school or local community during the designated week to raise money for The Lullaby Trust. Participants receive a free pack full of materials including Jo Wheatley’s recipes, balloons, cake toppers and more.
Here is Jo’s recipe for Rhubarb & Ginger Torte…
FOR THE TORTE BASE:
150g self-raising flour
150g caster sugar
150g unsalted softened butter or margarine
3 large eggs, beaten
100g ground almonds
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
FOR THE FLAVOURING:
1 stem of rhubarb sliced into thin discs (the thickness of a £1 coin)
1 ball of stem ginger + 2 tbsp of the syrup (jarred)
FOR THE TOPPING:
120g dark chocolate
2 tbsp of golden syrup
20g white chocolate chopped
You will also need a 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tin, greased and lined with a disc of buttered baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4.
- Tip all of the torte base ingredients into the bowl of a free-standing machine and beat for 2 minutes until smooth. If you don’t have a machine, you can use an electric hand-held mixer.
- Now fold in the rhubarb, ginger and syrup, spoon into the prepared cake tin and spread level using a palette knife. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and *cool in the tin for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. *(Important to leave to cool in the tin as the soft torte will tear when it’s to hot)
- In a heavy base pan, gently heat the dark chocolate, butter and golden syrup until melted, stir until well combined, pour over the cooled torte, now place the white chocolate into a sandwich bag, pop the sealed bag into a cup half filled with hot water to melt the white chocolate, snip the bottom corner of the bag and drizzle over the chocolate icing.
- Leave to set before serving.
Recipe and image by Jo Wheatley, www.josblueaga.com