This recipe was discovered by Kim on a family holiday, and is the perfect treat! Take a look at this recipe from her book Daisy Cakes Bakes to make it for yourself.
Makes 12 inch cake
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus 1 tbsp for dusting the pan
- 3/4 cup ground almonds or almond meal, plus 1 tbsp for dusting
- 3 medium unpeeled navel oranges
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 9 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Generously butter a 12 inch spring form pan and dust with a tablespoon each of sugar and ground almonds.
- Put the whole oranges in a medium saucepan, add 1/2 cup of the sugar and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and simmer until tender, about an hour. Drain the oranges (discard the liquid). When cool, quarter the oranges and remove any seeds. Put the oranges in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ground almonds, sugar and the baking powder.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs on high speed until thick and creamy, 5-6 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the orange puree just until combined. Carefully fold in the almond mixture until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the cake is firm and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean, 45 minutes. Let cool and then cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before removing from the pan and serving.